A cool roof is a roof that is coated in white or reflective pigment. They only cost $1.50 per square foot. It is also recommended to be installed by a professional, and it additionally costs depending on roof size. Our school's cool roof (as seen below) reflects 90% of all sunlight, but the Commons's roof only reflects 37% of the sunlight. Go to the more page for more info. A cool roof can benefit a building and its occupants by:
- Reducing energy bills by decreasing air conditioning needs
- Improving indoor comfort for spaces that are not air conditioned
- Decreasing roof temperature, which may extend roof service life.
- Reduce local air temperatures (sometimes referred to as the urban heat island effect)
- Lower peak electricity demand, which can help prevent power outages
- Reduce power plant emissions, including carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrous oxides, and mercury, by reducing cooling energy use in buildings. Information came from energy.gov